Service And Advice
We are the adhesive experts!
Changing to H.B. Fuller PUR adhesive
Changing your existing HMMC (PUR) adhesive to an H.B. Fuller grade
Rakoll® HMMC (PUR) edgebanding adhesives are based on proven technology for bonding edging material: veneer, melamine, polyester, PVC, ABS, PP and aluminium to all known core boards
HMMC = Hot Melt Moisture Cure (PUR)
Changing from a competitors grade to a HB Fuller – Rakoll® PUS 550 T with HMMC (PUR) hot melt adhesive you can achieve a thinner glue line, high final bond strength, produces tight joints, excellent heat and water resistance and clean running
To achieve the best results it is always advisable to purge the old adhesive and clean the system. Below is a quick guide to changing 2 kilo blocks. Systems may vary and it is always advisable to speak with your machine supplier.
Cleaning the tank and purging the old adhesive
- For this process always wear a pair of suitable gloves to prevent your hands coming into contact with the HMMC (PUR) adhesive. Gloves will also protect from the heat.
2. Purge through any existing HMMC (PUR) adhesive from within the glue pot or remove manually. This can be done in several ways depending on the type of system/machine being run. Some systems can automatically empty the glue pot where as others will require the HMMC (PUR) adhesive to be removed by hand using a plastic stick. Never use a wooden stick as it can scratch and damage the Teflon coating on the inside of the glue pot which will make it much harder to remove the HMMC (PUR) adhesive later down the line
3. Once the majority of HMMC (PUR) adhesive has been removed you can then move onto the cleaning process.
Cleaning or purging use Ipatherm 13 HMMC (PUR) Cleaner
4. Most HMMC (PUR) hot melt cleaners will be either red or blue in colour making it easy to differentiate between the cleaner and adhesive.
5. The HMMC (PUR) adhesive cleaner works by preventing the HMMC (PUR) adhesive from cross linking which prevents the adhesive from curing.
6. Insert the cleaning slug into the melter and allow it to be flushed through the pre-melter (if one is fitted) down into the glue pot and onto the glue roller. Again depending on the type of system being run the foil packaging containing the cleaner (if applicable) will either need removing completely or a circular hole cut at the bottom to release the wax cleaner.
7. Once the cleaner has passed through the glue pot and can be visually seen on the glue roller (change in colour) you can be confident that the old HMMC (PUR) adhesive has been neutralized and you can move onto the next stage.
Removing the cleaner
8. Some machines can automatically empty the glue pot or have a quick release which allows you to remove the glue pot and drain using a fitted plug located on the bottom of the glue pot. However this is not the case on all machines.
9. For machines that require manual cleaning, remove as much cleaner as possible from the glue pot again using a plastic stick.
10. Using a cloth wipe the inside of the glue pot to remove any final bits of cleaner. A pair of gloves are recommended for this as the glue pot will be very hot.
11. There will always be some cleaning residue left inside the glue pot. This will be flushed out when the new grade of HMMC (PUR)adhesive is put through
12. Remove any cleaner from the glue roller again using a plastic stick. Some types of machines are able to reverse the direction of the glue roller which automatically cleans the roller of any excess glue/cleaner.
13. Once the above has been completed the new HMMC (PUR) adhesive can be run.
Adding the new Rakoll® PUS 550 T
14. Take the Rakoll® PUS 550 T adhesive out of the carton and remove the foil packaging or alternatively cut a circular hole in the bottom, again which one will depend on the type of system/machine being run.
15. Put the Rakoll® PUS 550 T into the melter and close the lid forming an air tight seal.
16. Set the temperature as specified on the technical data sheet. Rakoll® PUS 550 T operate between 120°c – 150°c
17. Allow the Rakoll® PUS 550 T to melt down into a liquid state filling the glue pot and covering the roller.
18. Run a few test pieces through to remove any final bits of cleaner.
19. Full production can now start using Rakoll® PUS 550 T
20. It is very important when using HMMC (PUR) adhesives is purging of the adhesive melt tank and applicator (nozzle/roller) after use with a suitable cleaning agent – Ipatherm 13 HMMC (PUR) Cleaner. HMMC (PUR) adhesives once cured, unlike EVA adhesive, will not re-melt!!!! Good house-keeping is required at all times.
Posted in: H.B. Fuller
Give us a call on 0161 627 1001