Service And Advice
Glue Stick Applications
We are the adhesive experts!
Overtec low cost moulding high performance, cost effective moulding resin
Overtec® system is a low-pressure moulding process that uses thermoplastic moulding resin to achieve high quality sealing and protection of components, faster than 2 component potting resins and far lower capital cost than injection moulding.
A process innovation positioned between casting/potting and high pressure, high volume injection moulding, the overtec® system uses a low injection pressure which allows for low cost tooling and prevents damage to fragile components. The overtec 5 FR resin sticks simply need to be loaded into the overtec 820-15 glue gun and allowed to reach operating temperature before use, resulting in a simple and clean process with fast cycle times.
Overtec® moulding resin has a number of advantages when compared to other resins and moulding processes.
- High performance: the properties of this material mean that it can offer water-tight encapsulation (up to IP68+), water and chemical resistance, and excellent upper and lower heat resistance
- Speed of application: the overtec® resin is applied without mixing and sets faster than two part systems
- Reduce inventory: over moulding eliminates the need for housings and casings, saving on component cost and reducing inventory
- Lower cost tooling: Low pressure over moulding tools for overtec® resin injection are a fraction of the cost of high pressure injection moulding tools.
- Lower volume: the overtec® system is ideal for low volume over moulding applications where high cost tooling and large injection moulding runs would be prohibitive
- Solvent free: overtec® moulding resin is solvent free and composed primarily of renewable materials, making it environmentally friendly
The most popular applications for the overtec® moulding system are electronic component encapsulation, connector potting, grommet injection, automotive electronics, PCB over moulding, moulded connectors and sensors, and many more. In many cases, the moulding can protect the various components against environmental conditions, help to obtain strain relief, provide a tamper proof covering for components and keep the moulded part in the correct position for use.
The process couldn’t be simpler: load an overtec 5 FR resin stick into the overtec 820-15, switch on and allow it to reach operating temperature. Open the mould set and place the component inside, then securely close the mould with the component inside. Insert the nozzle of the gun into the injection port at the side of the aluminium mould, and dispense the liquid resin. Fill the mould quickly while trying to keep the flow consistent. When the mould is full, the trigger action of the glue gun will harden, but trigger pressure should be maintained for a few seconds to prevent any shrinkage. The resin will set within a few seconds, by which time the mould can be opened and the newly over moulded pieces removed.
The finished component cost, capital outlay, and time to market can be reduced significantly with the overtec® moulding system
Posted in: Glue Stick Applications
Give us a call on 0161 627 1001